Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thrifty Thursday

Save your grocery receipts and turn them into FREE MONEY!!

Here are two of the three checks that came in my mailbox last weekend. I received two $10 checks and one $5 check from Mail in Rebates (MIRs).


I find MIR offers mostly from beer companies, but sometimes wine and other products as well. The beer offers definitely pay the most ($5 - $25) per offer. Many MIR require no purchase of beer or wine. I find Beer rebates at gas stations and grocery stores. I find wine MIRs hanging on the necks of the wine bottle.
Here are some that I mailed off last week.
You will see one is for $10 back when you send in your receipt after purchasing more than $10 of Hormel Cure 81 Ham. When I found this rebate, I went to the store and purchased a ham for $11.45 and sent them my receipt. My OOP cost for the ham once my rebate is received is $1.45.
Rebates take time. No instant gratification here, but worth waiting for. Often, one of the beer companies, Budweiser, Coors, Miller, etc. offer rebates on frozen pizza, seafood, chips, condiments, meat, salty snacks, ice, water, or any combination of these.
Sometimes I don't need to shop for any items to earn my rebate.
I save all of my receipts from my purchases. After I record them for budget purposes, I wrap them in a rubberband or store them in a ziploc bag with the name of the month written on it.

All rebates have dates between which qualifying purchases must be made. Usually you have one month to make the these purchases. When I bring a rebate form home, I note the beginning purchase date and then go to that stack of receipts and look for the qualifying food items. The last rebate I mailed is pictured below with qualifying receipts.
I had forgotten I had the rebate and came across it after the purchase deadline, but before the mail in deadline. I went through my receipts and found just what I needed to earn my money. It only takes a little time and 42c for the stamp.