Thursday, April 9, 2009

Thrifty Thursday

This year I became a fan of Goodwill. I lost 35 lbs. over a few months and I didn't want to shell out lots of cash to pay for new clothes as I melted. :o)
A new Goodwill store opened near me and I was thrilled with the finds I made there! I bought Coldwater Creek, Liz Claiborne, Chico's, Ann Taylor, and more great names for less than $5/item, most of which I paid only $1/item! My Goodwill store runs specials every week. For a while it was Dollar Days. All items are marked with colored tags. Each week they would choose one color and the clothing tagged with that color was only $1 or 50% off, etc. I learned to wait and only pull the $1 or % off items when I shopped. If I found some tempting items I knew they would be on slale soon and I would wait it out. I even bought a cute pair of NEW Italian leather shoes for $3!! I don't reccomend buying used shoes. Too many health issues.
I wish I had photographs of my outfits. You'd never guess I paid more for a gallon of milk than I did for my outfit! Maybe I'll try and add some photos later.

I did not have much luck purchasing children's clothing at my Goodwill. The selection is small. Perhaps more people share or sell children's clothing than donate it.

I returned to Goodwill last week after several months away. I picked up some items for one of my teenagers and I found this bench for $15.

Two of my boys take private piano lessons, but we don't own a piano. They practice on a keyboard. Now they have a bench (that matches the black keyboard) to sit on. The lid even comes off to store all their music books!

Go ahead and take a peek at your local thrift store!