Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Whittle Down Wednesday

Peter Walsh's book "It's All Too Much" has been my inspiration as I work on learning the freedom that comes with owning less.

This book is not just about de-cluttering. It's about looking at the space in your home in a new way. As you think of each room, you decide what it's purpose is. You ask yourself who uses this space. Then you look at what is in this room/space and determine what items serve the purpose of this space and which items do not. Obviously you get rid of anything that does not serve the purpose of that particular sapce. When you are finished you have a space that has less "stuff" to maintain and only items that serve you.

I wish I had a before picture of this cupboard. This is my pasta, spices and seasonings cupboard.
I threw out all expired items and moved canned goods, some baking itens and baking spices out of this cupboard. (I'm working on my "baking cupboard") The purpose of this "space" is to keep my spices, pastas, seasonings and bread crumbs.

In cleaning this cupboard I learned that I had multiples of a particular spice. I combined those that could be combined. Then I made a list of all spices I have here. I taped it to the inside door cupboard (you can see it on the right). Now, when I am making a recipe I can just read the list to see if I have some of the obscure ones.

I just need to remember to write an item on a shopping list when I'm throwing a bottle away.