Saturday, June 20, 2009

Giant-- $.43/lb boneless skinless chicken breast

Today at Giant I bought 22.14 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $9.63, which works out to $.43 per pound! I usually buy the big bag of individually frozen chicken breasts at Costco (about $2.50/lb) because they cook so quickly and it's easy to reach in and grab what I need out of the bag--but I couldn't pass up this steal of a deal at Giant. (This also would have been possible at Stop and Shop.)

I used the $5/15 meat coupon that I posted earlier in the week. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are $1.79 per pound with your club card. I found the packs that were just over $15 (BEFORE USING THE CLUB CARD.) At the check out I scanned the pack of chicken, then scanned the coupon THEN scanned my club card. I paid approximately $1.50 per ~3.5lb package. My total after 6 transactions was $9.61 (before tax) and I walked out with 22.14 pounds.

All afternoon I then played butcher and flattened and trimmed and bagged the chicken. I left just over half of it plain in freezer bags and half of it all set in marinades (for fajitas, jerk chicken, baja lime chicken and balsalmic zesty herb.)

The coupon is good until July 2nd, but chicken breasts are only on sale until Thursday. To get the best deal, make sure you find packages with pre-Bonus Card pricing as close to just over $15 as you can.