Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thrifty Thursday--make it yourself!


Recently I saw a friend with a new baby with a beautiful nursing cover. It was the Bebe au Lait style, but at $35 I knew that wasn't something I was going to buy. After mentioning this to another friend she passed along a great tutorial for how to make your own Bebe au Lait style nursing cover for about $10 and less than an hour of sewing.

Here's the link. It's fantastically easy to sew and it was so fun to go to the fabric store with my oldest daughter to pick out which fabric we thought was prettiest. There was plenty of fabric leftover so I was able to make a cute drawstring bag to hold it in. This project is simple enough for the novice sewer. If you're new to sewing, you can make it even easier on yourself by ironing the hems first before sewing, rather than just tucking and sewing as you go. (in the picture above you can kind of see how I added a soft flannel pocket on the underside to hold nursing pads or to wipe baby's mouth.)





If you try it, I'd love to hear how it turns out!

Bebe au Lait cost: $35
my materials cost: $9.82
savings: $25.81!