Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Time Saving Tuesday -- make ahead breakfasts





My oldest loves french toast. She'll eat 2 pieces each day for breakfast. I had been buying the frozen french toast at Trader Joes ($2.19 for 6 slices.) I hadn't ever thought too much about how much it cost until this month when I switched to an all cash grocery system. Suddenly, having to pay $2.19 in cash for just 6 slices (3 servings for my daughter) seemed like way too much when I knew I could make french toast cheaper by myself.

The problem was the time and effort. I'm 6 months pregnant and still suffer from morning sickness. Mornings are not my best time of day to be cooking and cleaning. But when I found a recipe for french toast that made a ton and could be frozen--and got great reviews--I knew I had to try it.

I tried it out last week and it was a HUGE hit among the kids (and even my husband who isn't much of a french toast fan.) It's called Disney French Toast.

I made some changes. I used regular whole wheat sandwich bread rather than Texas toast. I added a little cinnamon to the batter. And I also cooked them on my counter top griddle with cooking spray rather than in a skillet with oil. It used a whole loaf, and when my family was finished eating we had just 4 slices left to freeze. To freeze I placed them on a metal cookie sheet for about 30 minutes in the freezer and then placed them into a ziplock bag. The recipe suggests microwaving them to reheat, but I think they'd be pretty soggy. Instead we place them in the toaster oven at 350 for 8 minutes.




My daughter thinks they taste even better than the Trader Joes ones! We're saving money--and time making breakfast each morning! On my agenda today is to make a whole batch just for freezing!